CAREERS LOOKING FOR A SMALL FIRM ATMOSPHERE WITH BIG FIRM RESOURCES? SME CPAS OFFERS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.
Since 1952, we have focused on making a difference in our employees’ lives. You will have the opportunity to develop your leadership and professional skills while working on exciting engagements.
WHY SME CPAs? WE PUT PEOPLE FIRST, AND WE HAVE THE CULTURE TO PROVE IT.
At SME CPAs, you’ll have the opportunity to work closely with your peers and clients to develop your leadership, technical and professional skills while working on challenging and exciting engagements. You won't be pigeonholed into one industry or service segment as we advise clients across a wide array of industries, including manufacturing and distribution, construction and real estate, nonprofit, and professional services, among others.
SME CPAs offers career progression and growth opportunities, unlimited Flex Time, parental leave and a full benefits package. We have a fun, collaborative work environment that offers a smart casual dress code and we take work/life balance seriously. The success of SME CPAs can be directly attributed to the firm’s employees. We make substantial investments in hiring, developing, and retaining our people.
You have made the right decision.
Our hiring process is unique and straightforward. If you’ve decided that SME CPAs is the right place for you, here is what you can expect when applying for a position.
- Flex Time – All full time employees enjoy Flex Time.
- Holidays – 11 paid days during the year
- Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance – Firm contributions made to medical and dental premiums as well and HSA. Firm pays 100% of life insurance policy after waiting period. Employees also eligible to purchase additional voluntary life insurance.
- Dress for Your Day Dress Code – Nice jeans are permitted every day when not meeting with clients
- CPA Exam – Financial assistance for fees, mileage and time off to take exam as well as a completion bonus up to a maximum of $3,000
- Work/Life Balance – Reduced work schedules available to meet the needs of our firm, clients and employees
- Giving Back Committee – Very Active committee that helps determine how SME CPAs will give back to our community.
- Continuing Education – External and internal CPE arranged to provide our employees a broad range of topics to meet their niche specialties and areas of interest
- Bonus for New Employee Referrals – Often our best employees come from you!
- Commission/Incentive Plan – New client commission
- 401(k) – Discretionary firm contribution at the end of fiscal year
- Firm Special Events – Happy hours, special events during tax season, holiday party, end of busy season party; active YP group; United Way Project Serve Day
Senior Tax Accountant
Possess an in-depth knowledge of professional and tax accounting standards and effectively apply research techniques, comprehend various clients’ accounting systems, and adapt work as required.
- Prepare complex business and individual tax returns
- Perform technical tax review of assigned tax returns of varying complexity
- Research tax issues and resolutions/recommendations for those issues
- Take an active role in developing staff
- Facilitate and participate in “in-house” CPE and training activities
- Assign, track and manage tasks/projects that are sent to staff/supervisors to prepare
- Direct, coordinate, schedule and exercise functional authority for planning, organizing, coordinating and interfacing with clients to ensure all deadlines are met
- Communicate and interface with clients to ensure the clients’ best interests are achieved
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. Masters preferred
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years tax experience within a public accounting firm
- CPA certified or the eligibility to work toward obtaining a CPA license
- Proficiency with personal computers including spreadsheet software programs, general ledger packages, and computerized audit applications
- Excellent project management, analytical, interpersonal, oral and written communication
- Ability to function in a team environment
- Superior client service focus
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Flexible work schedule with moderate overtime during tax season
Submit your Resume to email@example.com.
Performs more complex audit engagements by performing the following duties.
- Engage various team members in the identification of client audit risks and generate dialogue surrounding response to identified audit risks.
- Lead the documentation efforts surrounding risk assessment procedures, planning considerations, and decisions including preparation of required audit programs.
- Instruct, direct, and review the work of Audit Staff in the completion of audit procedures over basic client accounting (i.e. cash, A/R, inventories, property and equipment, prepaids, A/P, accrued expenses, debt and general income statement accounts).
- Perform audit procedures over more complex client accounting (i.e. revenue recognition, income taxes, goodwill and intangibles, equity transactions, etc.)
- Review and/or prepare client financial statements to ensure compliance with applicable disclosure requirements.
- Complete general audit procedures (i.e. coordination of audit closing communications, drafting of client correspondence, resolving open items, etc.)
- Research technical issues using online tools.
- Perform other duties as needed on engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel
- Excellent project management, analytical, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to function in a team environment.
- Superior client service focus.
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Integrity, dependability, and trustworthiness.
- Ability to succinctly communicate and document procedures performed.
- Strong skills with general office use software and an ability to adapt to new software applications required in audit environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. Masters preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in auditing within public accounting
- CPA certified or the eligibility to work toward obtaining a CPA license.
- Proficiency with personal computers including spreadsheet software programs, general ledger packages, and computerized audit applications.
- Frequent same day travel for work at clients’ offices using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients’ offices using a personal vehicle.
- Able to work moderate overtime throughout the year with heavier overtime required during certain business cycles.
Submit your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Handshake listing to apply.
Audit manager is responsible for overseeing and managing multiple jobs from the planning stages to the final review of the financial statements. Audit manager leads multiple audits, reviews, and compilations for clients in various industries, including not-for-profit, construction, real estate, government contracting and financial services.
- Planning, executing, and reviewing of all types of engagements such as compilations, reviews, audits, and agreed-upon procedures
- Overseeing the efforts of multiple client engagements; planning, executing, directing, and completing external audits in a wide variety of industries; and managing to budget
- Providing research and consulting services in response to audit and accounting issues, client requests and identified opportunities
- Maintaining day-to-day management of engagements to ensure services are delivered in a timely manner
- Resolving client issues and problems; compiling research and preparing reports on various technical subjects
- Serving as the primary client contact on all related matters
- Understanding and managing firm risks on audits and proposals
- Consulting, working with, and servicing client base to make recommendations on business improvement and process improvement and serve as a business advisor to client
- Being cognizant of time budgets, but does not allow time budgets to sacrifice the quality of the audit procedures
- Thinking proactively about and being involved in practice development to include opportunities to cross sell to existing clients as well as identifying new clients
- Participates in recruitment events
- Knowledge of the industry and the clients’ financial statements and capability of drafting the financial statements in accordance with the relevant generally accepted accounting principles and pertinent industry rules and regulation
- Knowledge of GAAP, GAAS, OCBOA and unique or specialized accounting principles, and financial statement presentation
- Excellent project management, analytical, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Superior client service focus
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- Integrity, dependability, and trustworthiness
- Ability to succinctly communicate and document procedures performed
- Strong skills with general office use software and an ability to adapt to new software applications required in audit environment
- CPA licensure
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in auditing within public accounting
- Submit your resume to email@example.com.